What is a favicon? Well, it stands for a favorite icon. It is normally a 16x16 pixels or 32x32 pixels icon that appears next to your URL (web address) of your web browser. Most people prefer to use 16x16 pixels icon. Adding a favicon to you blog/website will no doubt distinguish your blog/website from the millions of other blogs. I've already created one for my WordPress blog. I was wondering how I could get one for my New Blogger blog here. The steps below are showing you how I've created mine on this blog:
- To add a favicon to your blog/website, you need to have your picture(s) ready on you PC (personal computer). If you don't have one, then you can create your own by using Paint or Photoshop program; or you can create one here from Favicon Generator; then save it to your PC as favicon.ico.
- If you have your picture(s) ready on your PC, then upload it to FavIcon from Pics; choose either 16x16 pixels or 32x32 pixels; you can preview your favicon on that site. If you are satisfied, then download it to your PC as favicon.ico.
- Once you have your favicon.ico ready on your PC, you need to upload it to your website's root directory.
- Since you know you don't have access to your server if you are using Google Blogger, so what can you do now?
- The solution is to find a third party image hosting to host your favicon.ico. Be aware that most of the Free image hostings don't support .ico format. Still you can find one that supports it. Here is a free image hosting that supports this image format.
- Once you find one to host your images/pictures; get the link and come back to Blogger Dashboard.
- Click on Layout/Edit HTML, find <head> line in the HTML editor; it should be at the beginning of the template.
- Then insert <link href='URL your icon file' rel='shortcut icon' type='image/favicon.ico'/> right after <head> line, where URL your icon file is the link you've got from your third party image host.
- Save your template and refresh you blog/website to observe the favicon.
Favicon for your Blogger blog
Add Favicon icon to Blogger URL
How to Add a Favicon to Your WordPress Blog?