HOME | ABOUT | CONTACT |

Search

Custom Search

Saturday, September 20, 2008

What is The Difference Between Subdomains, Parked Domains, and Addon Domains?

Last week I talked about Transfer My Joomla! Website to a New Host. My new host, hostmonster.com, allows its customers to set up unlimited subdomains, unlimited parked domains, and unlimited addon domains. So I tried to find out what they are, here are the results I've found.

What is a subdomain?
A subdomain is an url for a different section of your website. It uses your domain name and a prefix or a postfix. For example, my domain name is airlineticketswithus.com, a subdomain of my domain might be store.airlineticketswithus.com or airlineticketswithus.com/store/. Setting up a subdomain is Free.

What is a parked domain?
A parked domain (a pointed domain) is a domain name that points to the same directory as your primary domain. For example, if my primary domain is mysite.com, then my parked domain might be myothersite.com. Both primary domain and parked domain will point to the same website. In other words, both domains will lead to one website.

You'll need to purchase a parked domain from a registry like GoDaddy. It provides the best deals for domain registry so far. Your parked domain should point to the same name servers as your primary domain name. You can find your name servers from your web server's cPanel under Domain Manager. In my case, they are ns1.hostmonster.com and ns2.hostmonster.com.

What is an addon domain?
An addon domain is a domain name that points to a different sub-directory on your account. It gives you the ability to set up an entirely different website. For example, my primary site is airlineticketswithus.com, but my addon domain is mycoolonlinestores.com. They are totally independent websites.

You'll need to purchase an addon domain from a registry. GoDaddy offers the best deals for domain registry so far. Your addon domain name should also point to the same name servers as your primary domain name as well.

Suppose your addon domain name is yoursite.com, then in your web server your addon domain name might be accessed as follows:
yoursite.com
primarydomain.com/yoursite
yoursite.primarydomain.com

If you have questions, feel free to ask in the comment section.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Custom Search